Sunday, April 19, 2009

Best Cocopuffs - Liliha Bakery


When I got to the island and people talked about Coco Puffs--other than the chocolate round-balled kid's cereal {think: "I go cookoo over coco puffs}, I had no idea what they were referring to.

One the first time I had a cocopuff was at a potluck at sharon and joe's place. We had vanilla bean Coco Puffs and chocolate Coco Puffs. Yum!

Basically, a Coco Puff is your standard cream puff injected with vanilla or chocolate pudding. Different places garner certain reputations in Hawaii, and Liliha Bakery is the place known for these little treats. Supposedly they sell around 3,000 of these puffs a day (at $0.85/each). Beard Papa's has gained momentum on the mainland, but I haven't found a branch in Hawaii branch that rank like they do on the mainland. I find that Liliha's still has bragging rights for best cream puff on the island.

Liliha sells other baked items and offers a diner menu. Andy, Christian and I had breakfast at the diner counter one morning. Christian swears by the goodness of the UFO hot pink colored myterious flavored "fruit" jam (which was "radiation" scary looking if you ask me)...but I was thankful that I ordered their Cinnamon french toast. Andy got the traditional local morning feast--portuguese sausage, egg and toast combo. Long wait, so get there early!

Liliha Bakery
515 N. Kuakini Street (and Liliha Street)
Honolulu, HI
(808) 531-1651

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

KEOKI'S in Monterey Park has the best mini cream puffs in SoCal. I've taken them to office potlucks and it received raves. There's no stopping at "just one treat" after taking a bite into it. Special order only.