Monday, August 18, 2008

Hawaiian Host Memories

I don’t even know if people even bring these back to the mainland as omiyage any more.

When I was a kid, I used to love when friends and family members returned from Hawaii leaving behind an omiyage “Hawaiian Host Macadamia Nut Chocolates.” I always remember the dark brown bod with the Tiki figure on the cover, lifting up the airy bubble sheet and finding individualized compartments each spooning it’s chocolate delight. We used to keep the box on our long wooden living room coffee table. It was always so tempting to want to take a peek…even if we already had our day’s share.

Today, I still find myself driving to Longs to kick the late night choco-craving with a box of Hawaiian Host chocolates. I had passed by aisles of these boxes at Walmart and Costco when I first arrived—“eh, nothing special” I’d say rather snobbishly and brush off the sale signs and advertised 6-pack deals. But a couple months ago CK gave me a party favor from a recent bowling event he went to. It was a snack pack of the new Hawaiian Host ToffeeMacs. Yum! I was hooked. It was like eating Almond Roca without the outer almonds, and with a solid toffee bar middle mixed with tiny mac nut speckles. At less than $4 a box and with its availability everywhere on the island, this Hawaiian Host line has become my favorite quick fix for chocoholic cravings.

No comments: