Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Hawaiian Boulevard of Broken Dreams

I was sitting at Sandy Beach stringing my fingers through the grains of hot sand on a warm Hawaii afternoon when someone looked over and said to me: "You know, you're sitting on a boulevard of broken dreams."

I immediately knew it was a clever reference to the popular Green Day song, but I had to think about the connection.

My heart sank when I got it.

As we walk along the beach, we literally walk on top of millions of broken dreams. Dreams of shattered homes and shattered lives.

Each grain of sand is actually a shard of some little sea creature's shell or a dead piece of coral that was once alive underwater.

It was such a depressing thought.
Profound, but still depressing.

{Who throws those kinds of thoughts in your head when you're trying to relax and enjoy the ocean waves?}

No comments: